Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Energy Politics in the St Louis Region: Events of Interest to our course...

Hello all, some events related to our course that I hope someone goes to see because I’m swamped:

1) “The Mortality - Air Pollution Nexus and Actions to Mitigate Impacts"
Tonight, from 5:30 - 6:30 PM.  
Farrell Teaching and Learning Ctr on the Medical Campus, Room 214

Finally someone at the med school talking about dirty air.  I hope they talk about moving to renewables rather than just ‘mitigating’ impacts.

2) “A New Approach to the Middle East”  wouldn’t that be nice?
Madeleine Albright and Stephen Hadley will speak tomorrow at 9 AM in Graham Chapel.

I’d love to hear what the new approach is, but don’t have too much faith in these two, but one can always hope. Hadley is a war hawk who helped the Bush administration lie our way into the second Iraq war after 9/11. He is also close to Robert Gates and company of the oil-loving militaristic right, and he’s closely tied to the weapons industry we’ll be critiquing tomorrow.  Madeleine  Albright was ambassador to the UN and later secretary of state under Clinton.  She was trying to stir up support for an attack on Iraq even before 9/11.   Albright is a proponent of American exceptionalism and militarism in the Middle East.  WUSTL gave Albright an honorary PhD in 2003. She infamously suggested that women who didn’t vote for Hillary would go to hell.  More on Madeleine Albright here   

Somebody please go listen to them and report back to class.  (I’ll excuse you for being late to class, but we’ll also be talking about Saudi Arabia.)  I’m guessing Albright and Hadley won’t have much to say about oil, which will basically prove my point from yesterday.  But I hope I’m wrong.  The event will also be streamed so I might catch some of it.  

As I write this I’m thinking we should show up to protest, but with Trump in office even war mongers like these two start sounding rational. smh. When I get like this I listen to this song: “War Pigs” (Black Sabbath), written during Vietnam War times, but relevant today.

3) Resisting new pipeline infrastructures in the St Louis Region.
Meeting this Saturday at 6 PM at Mokabe’s Coffeehouse (3606 Arsenal St, St Louis)

A local organization, MORE, is starting to mobilize people to push the transition by resisting new oil infrastructures.  A number of WUSTL students have been involved with MORE over the years, perhaps some still are.  They helped us during the sit-in against Peabody.  Join up.